Dementia Care using the Best Friends™ Approach
At Calgary Elder Care, our nurses and caregivers have received the Best Friends Approach training through the Alzheimer Society of Calgary. This is a model of care for people with dementia emphasizing empathy and friendship and holds fast to the belief that every person diagnosed with dementia has the right:
- To be treated as an individual, with dignity and respect
- To live in an environment designed for an individual’s abilities and interests
- To be involved in work and play as long as possible
- To be outdoors on a regular basis
- To have physical contact including hand holding and hugging, based on individual comfort and needs
- To be with people who know and understand one’s life story, including family, cultural and religious traditions
- To be cared for by individuals willing to participate in ongoing training in dementia care
Benefits of Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care
Living with the effects of dementia or Alzheimer’s can create a tremendous toll on the physical and emotional well-being of family or a spouse.
Calgary Elder Care understands the unique challenges that dementia and Alzheimer’s presents. Caregivers with this specialized training and experience are patient, respectful and compassionate. Caregivers are able to provide care and assistance through all the difficult stages of dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Very few individuals ever need to be placed in a facility environment as long as there is a qualified caregiver providing in-home care.
Alzheimer’s care is no easy task. Clients with Alzheimer’s may require 24 hour personal care. It is very challenging and caregivers are carefully chosen based on their physical and mental fitness and their ability to handle challenging situations. Alzheimer’s can be extremely stressful to deal with emotionally; we make it a priority that our caregivers understand the emotional aspect of the caregiving process. Experts from around the world agree that there is no better care than that provided in home. Calgary Elder Care offers hourly and live-in home care to suit all your needs, allowing you to choose the type of care schedule that suits you best.
Caregivers are aware of the specific needs of the dementia and Alzheimer’s client, such as the need to be supervised with even the simple day-to-day activities. They will be caring and engaging on the good days, providing them with all the activities of normal life, while on the not so good days, our caregivers create a safe environment and help the client to feel at ease.
Our care is flexible and can be designed in a way that promotes independent, healthy living, and is based on the individual and cognitive status of the client.
Services we can provide for your loved one may include:
- Cognitive activities to support memory/conversation
- Companionship, socialization and activities
- Bathing, toiling, and dressing
- Provide nutritious meals
- Assist with feeding
- Medication reminders
- Gentle reminders for appointments
- Supervision to prevent fall, injury, or wandering
- Homemaking tasks, housekeeping, laundry
- Behaviour monitoring
- Wandering prevention
- Management of changing behaviour
- Family support
Our dementia care services encourage maximum independence and personal dignity. Calgary Elder Care’s services offer relief, freedom and peace of mind for the spouse and family.
Most people mistakenly think that one-on-one care is too expensive, when it is actually a very cost effective alternative to facility based care.
Contact Calgary Elder Care for Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care
Our goal is to allow your loved one to age gracefully at home, and give you the peace of mind, knowing that they are safe and enjoying quality of life. Call us at 403-464-2455 for a complimentary assessment.
Upcoming Learning Opportunities in Calgary:
Understanding Dementia and Brain Health – June 15, 2016